Using a model-based approach, you develop algorithms and optimisation models. You solve challenging problems for machine and vehicle designers in the industry.
Our client works on innovating design processes for the industry. You always start from a complex industrial problem. Examples include generating alternative designs for complex products (machines, vehicles, etc.) and assembly environments. Your models are used as basis for innovative engineering tools for industrial designers.
In a first phase, it is your task to define the problem in more concrete terms. Many design problems are essentially about mapping knowledge about imposed constraints and multiple objectives. In a next phase, you focus on solving the problem by creating a formal algorithm or optimisation model that correctly deals with these constraints and objectives.
As Researcher Optimisation for Industrial Designs, you will more in particular :
- Work together within a research team with expertise in model-based engineering, structural analysis and optimisation, continuous and discrete optimisation, functional safety, digital twins, embedded software and IoT
- Create and solve (Pareto) optimisation issues using exact methods or heuristics (e.g. mixed-integer programming, genetic algorithms…)
- Program and implement these methods (Python, CAD software, Matlab, Simulink) and, subsequently, test and verify the performances
- Cooperate with companies and PhD students, both for a concrete definition of the problem at hand and during the development works. You continuously keep in touch with all your stakeholders. You want to know more about their relevant context
- Valorise your results. You will disseminate your knowledge and developments both internally and externally through conferences, papers and (internal) demos.
Experienced applicants will also coach young researchers and lead projects.
- A Master’s or PhD degree in Engineering Sciences (Computer Sciences, Mathematics or Applied Mathematics, Statistics or another relevant discipline
- Industrial and/or academic expertise in optimisation issues
- A keen interest in applying theoretical concepts to practical case problems
- Good social skills to deal with stakeholder management during your developments
- Experience with applications on machines and/or vehicles or affinity with optimisation solvers and modelling software (e.g. Python, CAD software, Matlab, Simulink) are considered additional assets
- Passionate about research and new production technologies
- A good conceptual thinker
- Result-oriented, responsible, self-managing and a real team player
We offer you a position as a consultant within the fascinating world of high tech and engineering. We provide a total package with on one side training, coaching and a close follow up and on the other side a balanced salary package with fringe benefits based on your capabilities and experience. Working with us means choosing for a long term perspective, development possibilities and a personal approach.